Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Manhattan cocktail

2 ounce rye whiskey (Old Overholt)
1/2 ounce sweet vermouth (Martini Rosso)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Recipe from Drinkboy.com. First sips are like a softened whiskey, not much vermouth or bitters. I notice more the vermouth on the nose. Marta suggests that all she tastes is whiskey, so I pour some whiskey into a espresso cup with an ice cube for a taste comparison. The comparison convinced her that the Manhattan was more than just whiskey, it was also good for me because after sipping the straight whiskey then tasting the Manhattan I was able to pick out more flavors from the Vermouth. Halfway through the drink I added some more bitters to the glass and gave it a stir. It improved the complexity of the drink significantly.

Next time I will try to boost the vermouth up to 1 oz and add some more bitters. Also would like to try the recipe from the Savoy Cocktail Book:

2 oz sweet vermouth
1 oz Rye or Bourbon
1 bar-spoon Maraschino
2 dashes Angostura bitters

No comments:

Post a Comment