Saturday, May 28, 2011

Harvard Cocktail

Harvard Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Brandy
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Grenadine
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
Dash of Angostura bitters

Shake and strain into glass.

I think of all the cocktails I have tried so far I am partial to those with brandy as the base spirit. So when Marta suggested we make the Harvard cocktail as our cocktail of the day I was more than happy!

The above recipe comes from The Essential Bartender's Guide by Robert Hess. Comparing this recipe to the one that appears in the Savoy cocktail book one quickly notices a number of differences. Primarily the lack or addition (depending on your recipe of reference) of lemon juice and the swap of simple syrup for Grenadine. Additionally in the Savoy recipe the Brandy and Sweet Vermouth are equal in parts.

I will make the Savoy version in the coming days, but made per the Hess recipe above the drink was delicious. Marta is suffering from some allergies so her sense of taste is not what it should be, but she too enjoyed the drink. The drink was well balanced with neither the Brandy or vermouth too strong. This is a drink that I will definitely make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment