Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Algonquin Cocktail

The Algonquin Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey (Old Overholt)
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Martini Bianco)
3/4 oz Pineapple Juice

After receiving in the mail a couple days ago the book "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" by Ted Haigh I realized that I would have to do some serious tracking down and buying of ingredients before I could make the majority of the drinks in the book. The Algonquion cocktail, however is one that only required ingredients that I had on hand. That said, the pineapple juice I did have was of questionable quality (small juice box, however the first ingredient was pineapple juice) and I think this changed the final outcome of the drink.

As mixed above I found the drink unbalanced.. Too sweet, perhaps artificially sweet. But I contribute this most likely to the pineapple juice. Marta really enjoyed the drink and says she would have happily ordered it in a bar. I think she tends to have more of a sweet tooth than I so that is understandable.

I hope next time I make this drink I will have some 100% pineapple juice on hand to see if it makes for a more balanced drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment