Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Aviation Cocktail

Aviation Cocktail

2 oz Gin
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz Maraschino

I had been wanting to hold out making this cocktail until I managed to get my hands on some Creme de Violette, but after reading the drink entry in the great book "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" by Ted Haigh, where Haigh says that the original recipe may have had Creme de Violette, in the drinks heyday it was mixed without it. Various other cocktail websites have the drink listed variable with our without Creme de Violette.. So I decided to cut to the chase and just make the drink and then once I get some Creme de Violette I can compare.

The recipe above comes from the Art of Drink website. The recipe here is different than that given by Ted Haigh, mainly in the quantity of Maraschino.

I found the drink above heavy on the Maraschino, Marta on the other hand liked it a lot. Perhaps next time either increase the lemon juice or decrease the Maraschino. Or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment